Sunday, September 30, 2007

10 ft Tall and Rising

South University Village in Midtown is taking shape. The mixed-use project will consist of 130 apartments, ground-floor retail and a parking structure. The parking structure is visible in the distance.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne

Born from anxiety raised from the conflict known as the Patriot war, Fort Wayne was constructed in 1843 in an effort to fortify the United States' Northern border with British Canada. The Fort has never seen conflict. However, Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne from Arcadia Publishing delves into the history of the fort from its earliest days as a mustering center, till its final days of military service as launch control for missile batteries during the Cold War.

The book describes the conditions that led to the fort's construction before thoroughly detailing the structure itself. Authors James Conway and David F. James have done a remarkable job compiling a host of historical blueprints and photos documenting the fort's design. Other chapters detail Garrison life and the fort's place in the community.

Through the years Fort Wayne became more than a military fortification for the city of Detroit. It was also a social center and a refuge. During the depression the old troop barracks were used as housing for homeless families and the Work Progress Administration provided jobs improving the fort. The fort was also home to those displaced by the 1967 riots. The last families left Fort Wayne in 1971.

The important final chapter of the book focuses on the Fort Wayne's life as a museum. The museum has fallen on hard times and is a mere shadow of its former self. Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne serves as a terrific reminder of what the fort once was and what it can be once again. The pages are filled will compelling facts and photos of this once proud citadel. Flipping through the pages one gets a sense of how important this nearly forgotten relic has been to our city.



Photos reprinted with permission from Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne, by James Conway and David F. Jamroz. Available from the publisher online at www.arcadiapublishing.com or by calling (888) 313-2665.



Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Slumpy's Dead!

The William Livingston House was finally put out of its misery on September 15th, 2007



dfUNK captured the carnage last weekend.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Dark Tower Part II

As you may recall, back in May DTE cut the power to the Book Building and Book Tower for a few days due to non-payment. Tenants were forced to use generators to keep their businesses open while an arangement was worked out.

Well, DTE cut the power again on August 30th. Tenants are once again caught in the middle of a dispute between the buildings former owner and DTE. Susan Lambrecht claims that the $100,000 owed to DTE is the responsibility of Northeast Commercial Services Corp., which she sold the building to and has since lost through foreclosure. Business owners have raised $42,000 on their own in an attempt to restore power while Northeast Commercial Services Corp. tries to work out a deal with DTE and the buildings new owners, KCI.

DTE has so far refused to accept the money raised by the building's tenants and KCI. It is demanding $57,000 in payment.

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Downtown Historic Movie Palace Tour Part 4

The Detroit Opera house began life as the Capital Theater in 1922. The 4,250 seat Howard E. Crane designed theater was the first to open in the Grand Circus Park theater district. It is another fine example of the Palace style. The theater went through many name changes through the years before finally closing as the Grand Circus Theater in 1985. Michigan Opera Theater Took over the building in 1988 and restored it as its' 2,700 seat home.







Saturday, September 01, 2007

Downtown Historic Movie Palace Tour Part 3

The venue popularly known as the State Theater in Detroit was constructed in 1925 as the 3000 seat Palms Theater. The attached office building is still know as the Francis Palms Building. The theater was designed by C. Howard Crane in the Palace style. It was re-branded as the Detroit Fillmore on June 17, 2007.

The State Bar & Grill



Detroit Fillmore Grand Lobby





Detroit Fillmore Auditorium