The Detroit Opera house began life as the Capital Theater in 1922. The 4,250 seat Howard E. Crane designed theater was the first to open in the Grand Circus Park theater district. It is another fine example of the Palace style. The theater went through many name changes through the years before finally closing as the Grand Circus Theater in 1985. Michigan Opera Theater Took over the building in 1988 and restored it as its' 2,700 seat home.